Saturated fats can actually keep you lean and healthy.
I am a strong believer of including a variety of healthy oils and fats into your diet. I know some people are still really afraid of fat, especially saturated fat, but trust me, healthy fats can truly be good for you and actually help you burn fat.
Fats work with other nutrients to supply your body with the building blocks for metabolism, longevity, hormone balance, heart health, vision, skin and energy.
And, saturated fats are actually NECESSARY for your good health.
Healthy essential saturated fats include fat from organic grass fed beef, grass-fed butter, coconut oil, and even lard. These fats are heavy in omega 3’s, Conjugated Linoleic Acid, cholesterol (yes I said cholesterol, which is good for you and important for your body), vitamins A and K, and monounsaturated fats.
Twenty five years ago, animal fats became the enemy, based on one doctor’s flawed research findings.
It’s odd, though, that human civilizations have survived and thrived for years on high fat diets, but in our world today, we eat far less butter and lard than we did at the turn of the century, and heart disease, cancers, inflammatory diseases, depression and obesity rates have skyrocketed!
Could the doctors and the food pyramid be wrong? Yes.
We are actually suffering from an inadequate and unbalanced fat intake.
Medical research shows that it is the sugars, starches, excessive omega 6 fats, and trans fats from refined foods that increase the inflammation in our cells and blood vessels.
Our bodies send out cholesterol to mend these inflamed blood vessel walls, and then you have cholesterol buildup.
Fat actually is a more efficient and longer lasting fuel for energy, which keeps blood sugar stable and helps to prevent fat storage, as long as you are avoiding starchy processed grains and sugars.
And what about butter?
Butter has actually been used as a part of the diet for thousands of years. In fact, the first written reference to butter was found on a 4500 year-old limestone tablet. People around the world have prized butter for its health benefits.
Butter is a completely natural food essential to your health – especially when you eat organic, grass fed butter, high in CLA and one of the only sources of vital Vitamin K2.
Some of butter’s many benefits include:
- Butter is the most easily absorbable form of Vitamin A necessary for thyroid and adrenal health, both of which are essential to fat burning and energy.
- Butter contains lauric acid, important in treating fungal infections and yeast infections.
- Butter contains lecithin, essential for proper cholesterol metabolism.
- Butter contains antioxidants that protect against free radical damage.
- Is a great source of Vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Is a very rich source of a very important mineral, selenium, which is a powerful cancer fighting nutrient.
- Butter contains conjugated linoleic acid, which is a potent fat burner, anti-cancer agent, muscle builder, and immunity booster.
- The vitamin D found in butter is essential to absorption of calcium, the immune system and overall wellbeing.
- Contains a special anti-stiffness factor, which protects against calcification of the joints.
- Is a source of iodine in highly absorbable form-highly recommended for adequate thyroid function and fat metabolism.
- Is a source of quick energy, and is generally not stored as fat.
- Contains Arachidonic Acid (AA) which plays a role in brain function and is a vital component of cell membranes.
Coconut oil is another important healthy saturated fat and is often preferred by athletes, body builders and by those trying to lose weight.
Because it is quickly and easily converted directly into energy and is not stored as fat, coconut oil helps in boosting energy and endurance, and enhances athletic performance. Coconut oil actually raises the metabolism and is excellent to burn fat as well.
Make a point to include healthy saturated fats into your diet, while eliminating sugars, grains and starchy products. Your cholesterol levels, triglycerides and blood sugar will improve for the better.
Don’t be afraid of saturated fats anymore.
Till next time, stay healthy and lean!
Catherine (Cat) Ebeling RN BSN, is a back to basics diet and nutrition specialist. In addition to her advanced degree in nursing from a major medical school, she has spent the last 30 years intensely studying diet, health and nutrition. She also has a book titled "The Fat Burning Kitchen, Your 24 Hour Diet Transformation" that has sold over 60,000 copies worldwide, and has helped thousands of people transform their lives, lose weight and improve their health.
Her mission is to help others prevent disease and live their best life ever.
Nutrition made Easy. Simple.Smart.Nutrition.